Having a literate and empowered society engaging actively in development and governance processes.
To organize, empower and transform marginalized communities through service delivery, capacity building, advocacy and research. Daraja operates as a national organization in Kenya
- Over 10 years’ experience working with children on programmatic, advocacy and research.
- The key focus for Darajas target population is within the vulnerable and marginalized communities in Nairobi’s urban informal settlements and environs
- Strong community entry strategies because of long standing working relations with the communities
- Strong linkages and networks with relevant professional groups, CBOs, and women groups
- Strong linkages with Government agencies at the sub county, County and national levels in various departments including, Education, Health and social protection
WHO WE ARE
Daraja Civic Initiatives Forum is a national NGO registered in Kenya with a focus on three thematic areas, namely; - Early Childhood Care, Education & Development (ECCED), governance (social accountability), and basic education. In partnership with others (government agencies, CSOs, and local communities), we deliver our mandate through research, learning facilitation, community mobilization, advocacy/policy engagements, capacity building, and service delivery. Daraja is a member of advocacy and professional networks/coalitions such as Kenya ECD Network and Elimu Yetu Coalition.
Daraja has a strong Governance structure led by a 10-member board of management, whose role is to advise on policy and strategic direction. A secretariat headed by a programs manager, assisted by project coordinators who head the 3 core program areas: together with the Finance grants officer form the management committee. Daraja also has a seasoned M&E department headed by a Monitoring, evaluation and learning officer. To support program activities is a pool of project officers, trainers, Community Resource persons..
In partnership with others, we do this through research, learning facilitation, community mobilization, policy engagements, capacity building and direct service delivery (where appropriate).
Daraja also works with Ministry of Education to enhance equitable access to quality education. This involves establishment of coordination committees/mechanisms at sub-county, county and national level to discuss) issues for action by MOE, to share best practices, lessons and replicable strategies.
Membership and Networks
Daraja is a member of advocacy and professional networks/coalitions such as Elimu Yetu (Our Education) Coalition and ECD Network- Kenya. Daraja has also participated in a number of policies forums & processes including:
- APBET Policy development for low cost private schools located in the non-formal settlements.
- ECDE policy review Ministry of Education
- Daraja has supported the legislation of the Child care Facilities Act 2017 for Nairobi city County
Daraja is also a member of Nairobi Budget Network_ the network aims at promoting the levels of engagement amongst the citizenry in county budget processes (Hosted by National Taxpayers Association)
Daraja has a strong Governance structure led by a 10-member board of management, whose role is to advise on policy and strategic direction